Monday, January 25, 2010

How lucky we are?

Few days back I saw a person walking in the road when I went for lunch. He was blind and was using a helping stick to find his way. It was so difficult for him as there were so many steps, the parking way, fire exit, bus stop etc near the office. And the signal doesn't have any sound when the green light shows. People helped him to cross the road. But his difficulties doesn't end there, isn't it? Everything we do just like that would be really difficult for him or at least he has to try hard.

Appa used to tell me that how lucky we are becasue we could see, hear, walk and do things without any difficulties. I used to laugh at this. But I understood what he meant only when I started thinking about this guy.

I felt so sad for the whole day. When I told this to Kannan he said, he will get all the help from the government and there could be someone helping him at home etc. Becasue being in UK, his life won't be as difficult as I am imagining. And he would have come out alone just for some relaxation or for an experience. That could be true. But then I started thinking about people who have similar issues from the developing countries like India. When will they get all the help like this? Forget about the sound, is there working signals in all the roads, or even if there is a signal do the people obey the rules? there are open man holes, no pavements and the buses doesn't have wheelchair access. We are not making it any easier for phisychally challenged people.

And there are homeless young childern and elderly people. Is the government trying to do something to help them? no. Why are we still building temples spenidng crores? Lets first make sure everyone has the basic 3 things, unavu, udai, irupidam. And then we could move on to 'ninaivu kattidam', 'vettri manadu', thiruvalluvar silai and cricket stadiums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home